I wasn’t sure what to think when I first saw Black Garlic for sale at Pearl Market so naturally, I had to check it out. Pasta is associated with romance, so I believe this would be a simple option for those who want to stay in since Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday this year. This recipe from Black Garlic takes less than 30 minutes to cook if you have the ingredients handy.
I modified the recipe a bit because I wanted to include a protein and a veggie so I heated up the olive oil, added the black garlic and grilled the chicken. I removed the chicken, set it aside, and followed the same process for the spinach. Then, I set the spinach aside and followed the recipe for the linguine (I used whole-wheat). At the end, I just mixed everything together and, voilà!
I did have a minor casualty while preparing this dish.
Apparently you’re supposed to remove the magnet before using the cooking plate. Oh well, I’m an experimenter, not a chef. Despite that, I pulled this dish off and the flavor was robust, so I still feel pretty fancy!
Black garlic is available for purchase locally from Texas Black Gold Garlic.
- One portion of linguine
- 4 cloves of peeled black garlic – sliced
- A glug of extra virgin garlic oil
- A handful of chopped fresh herbs – chives, parsley and basil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few slivers of fresh mild red chilli (optional)
- Cook the linguine according to the instructions on the packet.
- Once cooked drain thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat the garlic oil in the same pan. Add the black garlic, herbs and chilli (if using). Stir.
- Quickly toss in the linguine. Stir.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with a few whole fresh basil leaves.